I have this fantasy that there are real journalists left in the world of cable news. But just like my other fantasies, they never seem to come true. (Insert Rimshot here)
Glenn Greenwald’s latest piece of “advocacy” journalism deals with events that started in 2002 and ended in 2008. It involves the NSA under President Bush spying on 5 prominent Americans who are Muslim. For the record, at the time the Cheney/Bush administration was selling their lies to the American people, I was marching against their march to war.
What was Glenn Greenwald thinking in 2002, when this spying began. From the preface to one of Glenn’s books, his own words…
I believed that Islamic extremism posed a serious threat to the country, and I wanted an aggressive response from our government. I was ready to stand behind President Bush and I wanted him to exact vengeance on the perpetrators and find ways to decrease the likelihood of future attacks. (emphasis mine)
Think about that for a minute. Greenwald was 36 years old at the time, according to my calculations. Not some young naive kid. Whenever he has tried to refute my pointing that out, he usually says something like, “everyone was doing it.” As my mother would occasionally say, if everyone jumped off a cliff, does that mean you should too?
More from Glenn Greenwald’s own keyboard…
During the following two weeks, my confidence in the Bush administration grew as the president gave a series of serious, substantive, coherent, and eloquent speeches that struck the right balance between aggression and restraint. And I was fully supportive of both the president’s ultimatum to the Taliban and the subsequent invasion of Afghanistan when our demands were not met. Well into 2002, the president’s approval ratings remained in the high 60 percent range, or even above 70 percent, and I was among those who strongly approved of his performance. […]
July 11, 2014 Posted by ExtremeLiberal | Hypocrisy Watch, National Security, Politics, Republican Party | Afghanistan War, Edward Snowden, Glenn Greenwald, Iraq War, NSA, President Bush, Spying, Vice President Cheney | 2 Comments
Who The Hell Am I!
I’m a liberal that is extreme in some ways and not in others. I support President Obama and make no apologies for it. I think he has done a phenomenal job, especially when you consider that he inherited a huge mess and has faced unprecedented opposition from a lazy & desperate Republican Party. I’m a film producer/director/editor, adjunct professor, technician, media critic and photographer when I’m not reading left wing blogs and typing on this one. – On Twitter @ExtremeLiberal or Email at liberalforreal (at) gmail.com
Share This Blog
Kurt Vonnegut Moment
Categories2012 Election Accomplishments Budget Democratic Party Economy Election General Health Care Reform Humor Jane Hamsher Jobs Media Midterm Elections Mitt Romney Morning Joe MSM Music National Security Photography Podcast Politics President Barack Obama Professional Left Public Domain Racism Republican Party Teabaggers Tea Party The Repugnant Party The Truth
Own An Important Part Of American History!
Damn It’s Hot!
Only If You Have A Few Extra Bucks!
- Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- Will The Supreme Court Kill The Republican Party In King v. Burwell?
- Music Review – Paolo Nutini’s “Caustic Love” BUY IT!
- President Obama’s Press Conference After The Midterms Made The Bubble Weep!
- Jon Stewart Nails Fox News RE: Ferguson
- RT @TheBaxterBean: How GOP Used Hobby Lobby To Pave The Way For Indiana’s ‘Religious Freedom’ Law washingtonpost.com/news/morning-m… #BoycottIndiana ht… 5 hours ago
- Hey, that's near my town! | Michigan Police Officers Buy Family a Car Seat Instead of Issuing Ticket gma.yahoo.com/michigan-polic… via @GMA 5 hours ago
- Brooklyn Teen Was Charged With Assaulting A Cop Until This Video Proved The Police Were Lying thkpr.gs/3630128 via @thinkprogress 5 hours ago
- Governor Christie Told This Man To ‘Sit Down And Shut Up’ But He’s Running For Office Instead thkpr.gs/3640665 via @thinkprogress 5 hours ago
- RT @bobcesca_go: MY LATEST AT BANTER: Indiana Woman Convicted to 20 years on Largely Unproved Charges of Neglect and “Feticide” http://t.co… 5 hours ago
- RT @marabout40: President Obama Commutes 22 Drug Sentences huff.to/1NEVxuC | A good and decent man and a great president. http://t.c… 7 hours ago
- How Conservatives Hijacked 'Religious Freedom' @TPM talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/how-conse… #news #p2 8 hours ago
- RT @USAPlutocracy: @ExtremeLiberal I think it ironic #GOP law-makers fail to see this inherent risk w/ these pieces of legislation. Frighte… 11 hours ago
- That press conference was a perfect example of why religion & politics need to be separated, no doubt he BELIEVES his own delusions. #pence 11 hours ago
- So now it's "President Clinton's" law, as if that would make a difference, IF it were true. #Pence 11 hours ago
Join A Union – Rebuild The Middle Class
- Ronnie on Cornel West And Tavis Smiley Have Never Supported President Obama!
- Sedate Me on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- MLR on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- Sedate Me on Will The Supreme Court Kill The Republican Party In King v. Burwell?
- Joyce Varden on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- Jason on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- grantinhouston on Glenn Greenwald Decries The Spying He Helped Enable When He Supported Bush!
- Cedric on Glenn Greenwald Decries The Spying He Helped Enable When He Supported Bush!
- E. Landon Hobgood on President Obama’s Full Speech On National Security, Drones and Gitmo
- mentorboom on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- nomadicview on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- Peter on Glenn Greenwald, Perpetually Wrong, But Allowed To Be So!
- Kcender on When Greenwalds Attack! 10 Examples From His Past
- DoubleOhDavee on A Collection Of Photos For A Late Fall Day
- Maureen odonnell on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
Photos by Extreme Liberal