From the DNC, just a little reminder of what Mitt Romney said. And he decided to come to Michigan so we could keep the story going, nice work Mitt. Is this a sign of things to come in your campaign?
The Republicans came after your Medicare and now they want your Social Security too. The only way to insure that you won’t lose either is to vote Democratic in all future elections. Republican’s used to be much more subtle about how they want to throw seniors into the private market to go head to head with health insurers and Wall Street, but lately the new leaders of the GOP apparently have no idea what they are getting into. When the Bush Administration flirted with it in 2005, they learned very quickly that it was a bad idea. But the new GOP feels so empowered that they think they can just come right out in the open with their stupid ideas. As a Democrat, I want to thank them. Here are some details from Steve Benen at The Washington Monthly…
Alas, that’s not the case. A few days ago, Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas, a member of the House Republican leadership, unveiled the “Savings Account For Every American Act,” which would allow Americans to withdraw from the Social Security system and opt into a privatized system.
Of course, with Social Security functioning as a pay-as-you-go program, if workers “opt out” of the system, Social Security would either (a) crumble with insufficient funds; or (b) need Congress to spend more money to make up the difference. How would Sessions address this? By all appearances, he hasn’t thought that far ahead.
I guess we Democrats should be encouraged by the Republican’s lack of political savvy, but their propaganda machine is pretty effective and they will have some success with their brain-dead, Rush Limbaugh/Fox News programmed followers. But those people will never vote Democratic anyway, so the real audience for this is the moderates, who will clearly be able to make the connection between the risks of privatizing and their future security. It’s one of those ideas that is rather easy to counter, from The Hill, courtesy of Steve Benen...
Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel (D-N.Y.) on Tuesday predicted that House Republican plans to let workers opt out of Social Security would fail as voters realize how it will threaten their retirement.
“Seniors who have paid into Social Security through a lifetime of hard work shouldn’t end up in a risky privatization scheme to gamble their retirement on Wall Street,” Israel said. “The public has rejected this kind of Social Security privatization in the past and will again.”
Israel accused Republicans of looking to resolve the government’s fiscal crisis by scaling back Medicare and Social Security, while ignoring higher corporate taxes.
I don’t see any adults in the leadership of the Republican Party so I anticipate even more boneheaded moves in the next year and a half leading up to the next election. I don’t even think the complicate media can help spin them out of some these messes they’ve created. It will take a lot of distractions to keep people from seeing what is going on and the difference between the 2010 race and 2012 is that President Obama is in this race, with his bully pulpit, his 75% personal popularity and his unmatched ability to deliver a message in a clear and concise way. The only thing the Republicans have in their arsenal is their appeal to racists. And with the president at 75% personal approval, their clearly aren’t enough racists to put them over the top. It should be a fun ride to November 6, 2012.
Here are a couple of photos that remind me not to complain too much about how hot it is. There is a picnic table under those piles of snow in the first shot.
Photos by Extreme Liberal
Who The Hell Am I!
I’m a liberal that is extreme in some ways and not in others. I support President Obama and make no apologies for it. I think he has done a phenomenal job, especially when you consider that he inherited a huge mess and has faced unprecedented opposition from a lazy & desperate Republican Party. I’m a film producer/director/editor, adjunct professor, technician, media critic and photographer when I’m not reading left wing blogs and typing on this one. – On Twitter @ExtremeLiberal or Email at liberalforreal (at) gmail.com
Share This Blog
Kurt Vonnegut Moment
Categories2012 Election Accomplishments Budget Democratic Party Economy Election General Health Care Reform Humor Jane Hamsher Jobs Media Midterm Elections Mitt Romney Morning Joe MSM Music National Security Photography Podcast Politics President Barack Obama Professional Left Public Domain Racism Republican Party Teabaggers Tea Party The Repugnant Party The Truth
Own An Important Part Of American History!
Damn It’s Hot!
Only If You Have A Few Extra Bucks!
- Saying Goodbye To A Legend – Chris Squire of YES!
- The Republican Lies That Killed Our Sons And Daughters And Created ISIL!
- Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- Will The Supreme Court Kill The Republican Party In King v. Burwell?
- Music Review – Paolo Nutini’s “Caustic Love” BUY IT!
- RT @NationalMemo: It's easy to forget how terrible Chris Christie is at being governor. So we remind you! nationalmemo.com/8-reasons-chri… http://t.c… 2 hours ago
- RT @goldengateblond: I was just marveling how rarely the women players pretend they've been hit by sniper fire. twitter.com/docky/status/6… 2 hours ago
- So sad that woman was murdered in SF. Also sad that #cnn #media are using it to politicize & support Trump's racism. #news #pathetic 3 hours ago
- If it is a "deeply held religious belief" (anti-gay bigotry), why ignore are other Leviticus bans, like not eating fat or unkempt hair? #cnn 3 hours ago
- There are two fawns laying about 20 feet from my bedroom window, we've been watching them grow for the last few weeks. Cutie pies. 4 hours ago
- I'm happy that @SenSanders is firing up young people & new voters, hopefully his supporters won't tune out if he doesn't win. #news #p2 1 day ago
- Nothing makes you a pragmatist like observing politics for 40 years. I look back to my idealistic days & hear my Mom saying, "Oh Jimmy"... 1 day ago
- RT @TheObamaDiary: The President, the First Lady and ...... Bruno Mars http://t.co/uY0ITlcown 1 day ago
- In 2016 & '20, will Repubs STILL be running against @BarackObama? You'd think they would want to forget he whooped their asses twice. #gop 2 days ago
- I've been editing a lot of motion graphics vids lately, picked up 18 more. Must build an outdoor edit suite, screen tent style, bug free. 2 days ago
Join A Union – Rebuild The Middle Class
- jetforcef22 on Did I Mention Huffington Post Sucks Ass And Should Be Boycotted?
- Ronnie on Cornel West And Tavis Smiley Have Never Supported President Obama!
- Sedate Me on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- MLR on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- Sedate Me on Will The Supreme Court Kill The Republican Party In King v. Burwell?
- Joyce Varden on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- Jason on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- grantinhouston on Glenn Greenwald Decries The Spying He Helped Enable When He Supported Bush!
- Cedric on Glenn Greenwald Decries The Spying He Helped Enable When He Supported Bush!
- E. Landon Hobgood on President Obama’s Full Speech On National Security, Drones and Gitmo
- mentorboom on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- nomadicview on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- Peter on Glenn Greenwald, Perpetually Wrong, But Allowed To Be So!
- Kcender on When Greenwalds Attack! 10 Examples From His Past
- DoubleOhDavee on A Collection Of Photos For A Late Fall Day
Photos by Extreme Liberal