Facts That Need To Be Remembered – Social Security Is Fiscally Sound, Do You Hear That Media??!!
From Jacob Lew of the OMB, via USA Today… (emphasis mine)
The budget put forward by President Obama last week is a blueprint for how we can live within our means and win the future. As this begins the budgeting process in Washington, we need to be clear about the causes of the pressing fiscal problems we face. Specifically, looking to the next two decades, Social Security does not cause our deficits.
Social Security benefits are entirely self-financing. They are paid for with payroll taxes collected from workers and their employers throughout their careers. These taxes are placed in a trust fund dedicated to paying benefits owed to current and future beneficiaries.
When more taxes are collected than are needed to pay benefits, funds are converted to Treasury bonds — backed with the full faith and credit of the U.S. government — and are held in reserve for when revenue collected is not enough to pay the benefits due. We have just as much obligation to pay back those bonds with interest as we do to any other bondholders. The trust fund is the backbone of an important compact: that a lifetime of work will ensure dignity in retirement.
According to the most recent report of the independent Social Security Trustees, the trust fund is currently in surplus and growing. Even though Social Security began collecting less in taxes than it paid in benefits in 2010, the trust fund will continue to accrue interest and grow until 2025, and will have adequate resources to pay full benefits for the next 26 years.
For years, the surpluses in the Social Security trust fund have helped to mask our deficits elsewhere. Now that we are paying Social Security back, the problem is not with Social Security, but with the rest of the budget. In 2001 and 2003, Washington cut taxes for the wealthiest Americans and later expanded Medicare without paying for it. Blaming Social Security for our fiscal woes is like blaming you for not saving enough in your checking account because the bank lost all depositors’ money.
The problem is not Social Security; the problem is the mismatch between outlays and revenues in the rest of the budget. Closing that gap and paying down our debt will take tough choices, and the president’s budget makes them. Strengthening Social Security is an important, but parallel, issue that needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. But let’s not confuse it as either the cause of or a solution to our short-term fiscal problems.
Printed in full because it is too damn important.
6 Comments »
Who The Hell Am I!
I’m a liberal that is extreme in some ways and not in others. I support President Obama and make no apologies for it. I think he has done a phenomenal job, especially when you consider that he inherited a huge mess and has faced unprecedented opposition from a lazy & desperate Republican Party. I’m a film producer/director/editor, adjunct professor, technician, media critic and photographer when I’m not reading left wing blogs and typing on this one. – On Twitter @ExtremeLiberal or Email at liberalforreal (at) gmail.com
Share This Blog
Kurt Vonnegut Moment
Categories2012 Election Accomplishments Budget Democratic Party Economy Election General Health Care Reform Humor Jane Hamsher Jobs Media Midterm Elections Mitt Romney Morning Joe MSM Music National Security Photography Podcast Politics President Barack Obama Professional Left Public Domain Racism Republican Party Teabaggers Tea Party The Repugnant Party The Truth
Own An Important Part Of American History!
Damn It’s Hot!
Only If You Have A Few Extra Bucks!
- "Leadership And The Politics Of Fear": Obama Providing Exactly The Kind Of Leadership This Country Nee… wp.me/pIVTG-bX3 via @raemd95 1 day ago
- Fox Thanksgiving segment goes off the rails when black co-host is asked if she ‘makes Kool-Aid’ rawstory.com/2015/11/fox-th… 2 days ago
- RT @TheObamaDiary: Behind the Lens: Around the World in Nine Days - Photos by @PeteSouza medium.com/@WhiteHouse… https://t.co/B5Afj2Oo8W 2 days ago
- Wow, Seth Meyers just stripped down Trump’s lies and Islamophobia so clearly even your racist uncle will get it now salon.com/2015/11/25/wow… 2 days ago
- Yes, Trump Will Now Require Press Members Be Escorted to the Bathroom at Rallies mediaite.com/online/yes-tru… via @mediaite 2 days ago
- It's disturbing that I feel like I've seen the video of #LaquanMcDonald getting executed in the street BEFORE. When will it stop? #news 2 days ago
- I did not know that Rashida Jones is the daughter of Peggy Lipton and Quincy Jones. #funfacts 3 days ago
- Burger King Manager Says Chicago Cops Deleted Surveillence Video of Officer Killing a Teenager gawker.com/burger-king-ma… 3 days ago
- I love this. https://t.co/AjQ292d2ec 3 days ago
- RT @JoyAnnReid: Hey tweeps! I'll be sitting in for Chris and hosting Pre-Thanksgiving Day @hardball tomorrow (Wednesday) 7pm ET. Tune in! c… 3 days ago
Join A Union – Rebuild The Middle Class
- Matt Patrina on The Trumping Down Of America!
- Matt Patrina on The Trumping Down Of America!
- Consumer Unit 5012 on The Trumping Down Of America!
- paradoctor on The Trumping Down Of America!
- liberalguy11 on How Many People Has Fox News Killed With Their Lies About Obamacare?
- Chicken Hammer on The Trumping Down Of America!
- PurpleHaze on The Republican Lies That Killed Our Sons And Daughters And Created ISIL!
- jetforcef22 on Did I Mention Huffington Post Sucks Ass And Should Be Boycotted?
- Ronnie on Cornel West And Tavis Smiley Have Never Supported President Obama!
- Sedate Me on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- MLR on Aaron Schock Compares Himself To Lincoln – A Rare Photo Proves It
- Sedate Me on Will The Supreme Court Kill The Republican Party In King v. Burwell?
- Joyce Varden on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- Jason on Scarborough’s Dead Intern Gets Markos Of Daily Kos Banned From MSNBC!
- grantinhouston on Glenn Greenwald Decries The Spying He Helped Enable When He Supported Bush!
Photos by Extreme Liberal